||We're looking for an awesome tech or engine coder to help us push forward with some exciting features we want to bring to Avakin.
- Work in an interdisciplinary team of artists, designers and engineers to design, prototype and implement new real-time engine, core technology and graphics features
- Proactively help to improve the existing technology used to build our games, whilst minimising technical debt and maintenance risks.
- Identify technical and developmental risks/obstacles and find solutions to overcome them
- Work within the constraints of our existing proprietary technology and develop new technology when necessary
- Promote and adhere to best-practice with regards to code quality and performance
- Assist with performance profiling and optimisation of your own and others code to fit platform constraints
- Collaborate with the Leads to plan and schedule tasks
- Keep up to date with the latest advances in engine and general programming techniques in the games and wider technology industries
- Help mentor and support more junior members of the team
- Collaborate with our QA teams to identify and fix bugs in a timely manner
- Write system documentation and test cases for assigned systems
Required Skills And Experience
- 5+ years programming experience developing games or similar products
- Strong practical experience of C# and C++
- Experience developing with modern game engines, such as Unity or Unreal.
- Experience of commonly used real-time 3D graphics techniques and mathematics
- Experience of working within and optimising for tight CPU, GPU and memory budgets
- Good working knowledge of commonly used algorithms and techniques
- Experience writing and debugging multi-threaded code
- Self-starter who is comfortable taking ownership of a feature or task
- Excellent communication skills; you must be comfortable collaborating with colleagues from non-programing disciplines such as art and design
- Experience of the full development life cycle from design through to shipping
- A pragmatic, robust approach to solving technical and non-technical problems
- Ability and desire to learn and master new and unfamiliar technologies and code
Highly Desirable Skills and Experience
- In depth knowledge of Unity with at least one shipped product using it
- Experience of developing software for Android and/or iOS
- Experience of working on online and networked multi-player games
- Experience of using CPU, memory and power profiling tools to inform optimisation work
- Knowledge of advanced animation topics such as inverse kinematics and key reduction
- Experience writing and optimising shaders, especially for lighting and animation
- Experience with graphics profiling & debugging tools (e.g. RenderDoc, Mali Graphics Debugger, PIX, Razor)
- Strong physics knowledge
- Knowledge of optimal graphics data formats
- Knowledge of data compression
- Experience developing for console, handheld or embedded platforms
- Experience in a Continuous Delivery environment, working on a live product
Why Choose Us?
- Competitive salary with quarterly bonus scheme.
- Flexible work hours
- Staff social outings
- Pension and Gym Membership
Lockwood Publishing is one of the leading independent UK mobile games companies. Our most successful product to date is a 3D virtual world on mobile called Avakin Life.
We want to hear from talented and passionate developers who can help us implement our incredibly exciting and ambitious road-map. As part of the team at Lockwood, you will enjoy a creative, challenging and collaborative environment where your ideas will be every bit as valued as your design expertise. Our working environment is extremely open, and all team members have complete access to any metrics they wish. We hold regular company-wide briefings to ensure team members and departments are aware of the direct impact their efforts have on the progress of the project. Best of all, because we believe team members deserve more than a pat on the back for their effort, we offer a bonus scheme that pays out 50% of any increase in record quarterly profits directly to the team.