Games Tools Programmer - Microsoft Studios - Rare - Twycross
Games Jobs - Programming - Midlands
|Job Title||Games Tools Programmer - Microsoft Studios - Rare - Twycross|
Rare: we're not your typical developer. Our 30+ years in the game-making business have been dedicated to crafting one beloved title after another, constantly trying new things, and infusing the fun we have every day into the games we create. Check out the Rare Replay collection for three whirlwind decades of evidence! We strive to keep Rare a fantastic place to work, from its beautiful location and state-of-the-art facilities to a strong focus on work/life balance.If you're a keen gamer, chances are you've already caught wind of our epic shared world pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, released in March 2018 and a journey we're committed to for the long haul even as we begin to think about what's out there beyond the horizon. With every day bringing new challenges and discoveries in equal measure, there's never been a more rewarding time to join our daredevil crew!
Games are hugely complex software artefacts that are tough to understand and difficult to author. At Rare, we believe that the better we overcome these challenges the more we can experiment, learn and iterate towards a thrilling experience.
For this reason, we're seeking a Games Tools Programmer to focus on building workflows, visualisations and editors for our ambitious game worlds. In this role you'll work directly on our game team – right alongside the other Gameplay Programmers, designers and artists – where you'll champion tooling concerns throughout our development process.
As our tools authority, we anticipate your time being split between assisting others to develop tools and your own hands-on programming. You'll partner with other team members, understand their needs and goals, and influence the game and technical design so that our runtime systems are as amenable to visualisation and control as possible.
• Care deeply about tools and workflow and take a key role in their creation, working from concept through delivery to boost our team's creativity and productivity.
• Build visualisations, editors and other debug tools to support the construction and operation of our games. Code inside the game or alongside it as necessary.
• Advise and assist other programmers and disciplines so that we are all best placed to use tooling to make an even better game.
• Represent the game's agenda when collaborating with centralised studio resources, such as our Build and Engine teams.
• Use a real passion for tools to push the boundaries of your craft. Drive adoption of state-of-the-art approaches from other software industries and work with research organisations in other parts of Microsoft to bring advances in technology to our game tools.
• Innovate, experiment, learn every single day. Don't be afraid to fail.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• 2+ years of professional games experience or equivalent.
• Recent professional experience developing in C++.
• Practical familiarity with either gameplay programming or authoring in-game tools.
• Familiarity with Unreal Engine – even better if you've modified the engine or extended the editor.
• Formal qualifications in Computer Science.
|More||View other Microsoft Rare jobs|
|Recruiter||This job is advertised on behalf of Microsoft Rare using their internal reference 549654.|
|Login or register to apply||Login Register|