Senior Engine Programmer - Microsoft Studios - Rare - Twycross
Games Jobs - Programming - Midlands
|Job Title||Senior Engine Programmer - Microsoft Studios - Rare - Twycross|
|Job Category||Graphics / Engine|
Rare: we're not your typical developer. Our 30+ years in the game-making business have been dedicated to crafting one beloved title after another, constantly trying new things, and infusing the fun we have every day into the games we create. Check out the Rare Replay collection for three whirlwind decades of evidence! We strive to keep Rare a fantastic place to work, from its beautiful location and state-of-the-art facilities to a strong focus on work/life balance.If you're a keen gamer, chances are you've already caught wind of our epic shared world pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, released in March 2018 and a journey we're committed to for the long haul even as we begin to think about what's out there beyond the horizon. With every day bringing new challenges and discoveries in equal measure, there's never been a more rewarding time to join our daredevil crew!
The Engine team's responsibility is to provide deep technical knowledge and technical design advice across all game and platform systems within Rare. In addition to all the usual engine work (work on performance, memory, loading times etc.) we are often involved at the initial design stages of game features and frequently embed in other teams to collaborate on problem areas.Senior members of our team often have one or more areas of programming where they are highly skilled and experienced. Much more than this, they're characterised by their versatility and strong desire to get involved outside their original specialism. We think that one of the best things about working here is that every day provides us an opportunity to experiment and to learn, to find out where we were wrong and to get better at what we think we know. Our team culture reflects this: we're agile, we pair, we mob – we do whatever it takes to spread knowledge within the team and get a top quality job done.You'll tackle difficult problems and will help to set the direction of whatever group you're working with. We promise that if you're looking to grow, you'll have access to the range of challenges you need to truly broaden your experience. But most of all, you'll be part of a team of friendly, highly talented developers who like nothing better than sharing their own challenges and expertise with you.
• Collaborate with other programmers on the Engine and Game teams to build creative solutions to technical problems and provide insights on performance, memory, scalability, robustness and testability.
• Help contribute to the technology used to build Rare's next games, minimising technical debt and maintenance risks.
• Support our commitment to improving the quality of development processes at Rare. Nurture junior engineers to become the next generation of senior programmers.
• Devote time to personal improvement in order to remain up to date in your areas of expertise and software engineering knowledge in general.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Strong knowledge and several years of practical experience with C++.
• Robust problem-solving skills.
• Proficiency in low-level code and high-level architecture; comfortable both bit-twiddling and in systems design.
• Familiarity with performance and memory constraints, and experience debugging crash dumps.
• Shipped at least one game.
• Experience in writing automated tests.
• Experience with a major third-party game engine.
• Any area of specialism (audio, networking, AI, animation etc.)
|Salary||Competitive + benefits|
|More||View other Microsoft Rare jobs|
|Recruiter||This job is advertised on behalf of Microsoft Rare using their internal reference 549681.|
|Login or register to apply||Login Register|