Senior Gameplay Programmer - Microsoft Studios - Rare - Twycross
Games Jobs - Programming - Midlands
|Job Title||Senior Gameplay Programmer - Microsoft Studios - Rare - Twycross|
Rare: we're not your typical developer. Our 30+ years in the game-making business have been dedicated to crafting one beloved title after another, constantly trying new things, and infusing the fun we have every day into the games we create. Check out the Rare Replay collection for three whirlwind decades of evidence! We strive to keep Rare a fantastic place to work, from its beautiful location and state-of-the-art facilities to a strong focus on work/life balance.If you're a keen gamer, chances are you've already caught wind of our epic shared world pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, released in March 2018 and a journey we're committed to for the long haul even as we begin to think about what's out there beyond the horizon. With every day bringing new challenges and discoveries in equal measure, there's never been a more rewarding time to join our daredevil crew!
Our game teams are responsible for generating the concepts and designs for our titles and bringing these ideas and experiences to life for our players. As a Senior Gameplay Programmer on one of our game teams, you'll work with other programmers, designers, artists, testers and production staff to create game features.In this multi-disciplinary environment, everyone has a part to play in providing inspiration and creativity and no-one truly performs just a single role. It doesn't matter where an idea originates, whether from an intern or a senior member of the team, it's just as worthy of consideration and inclusion in our games.
Gameplay Programmers can expect to work on many aspects of a game. Game teams work in smaller groups targeting a specific milestone experience. Within these sub-groups, Senior Gameplay Programmers help to define these milestones, and can expect to work on all aspects of the end-to-end user experience such as system design, networked gameplay, artificial intelligence or user interfaces, so the flexibility and a desire to give something a try are key.
We're big believers in high-quality engineering here at Rare and aim for fast iteration with robust methods. This means that we embrace modern development practices such as continuous delivery, automated testing, code reviews, pair programming and agile methods.
We encourage everyone to explore and grow their own skills, whether through engineering discussions, volunteering to host one of our in-house workshops, or signing up to be part of our Engineering Process group to help steer how we build games in the future.
• Originate, implement and iterate on software features for inclusion in our games in conjunction with other engineers, designers, artists and testers.
• Identify and surface risks in the areas that are being worked on.
• Solve problems through the application of sound engineering practice.
• Continuously work to minimise technical debt and maintenance hazards.
• Devote time to personal improvement to further your own game development and programming knowledge.
• Champion quality in our development process, demonstrating our values and taking an active role in improvement of engineering at Rare.
• Be part of Rare's culture; be inquisitive, try things out, break stuff, help people be even better and think like you own the place.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Bring at least one area of deep technical expertise to our team. You'll know an awful lot about game (or plain old software) development in general, but this expertise is Your Thing. Graphics, audio programming, artificial intelligence, network sync, web services, engine development, build systems and suchlike. That's not an exhaustive list, by the way, just some examples. Tell us about yours.
• Show us that you have a solid grounding in Computer Science theory and C++ development, and have a genuine enthusiasm for the subject. You'll have demonstrable experience of its practical application, but not necessarily from inside the games industry.
• Bring raw enthusiasm for at least one area of technical expertise. Games are big and complex, but there will probably be one or two topics that you think are particularly interesting. Tell us what you like.
• Be enthusiastic about modern development techniques and demonstrably keen to apply them to games. Test automation is a key element of our approach so experience with automation, or a willingness to learn, is essential.
• Show us that you have a good foundation in C++ software design, programming and debugging.
• Experience working with Unreal Engine 4 is preferred, but not essential.
|Salary||Competitive + benefits|
|More||View other Microsoft Rare jobs|
|Recruiter||This job is advertised on behalf of Microsoft Rare using their internal reference 522348.|
|Login or register to apply||Login Register|