Senior Level Designer - THE CHINESE ROOM
Games Jobs - Game Design - Anywhere
|Job Title||Senior Level Designer - THE CHINESE ROOM|
|Job Category||Level Designer|
|Job Description||The Chinese Room have established a reputation as one of the most creative and exciting studios in the UK. We’re very proud to be seen internationally as pioneers of storytelling with a flair for creating atmospheric, rich and imaginative games. Our titles include the groundbreaking Dear Esther (2012), cult horror Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (2013), the VR fairy-tale So Let Us Melt (2017) and the open-world adventure Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (2015), a Playstation 4 exclusive that won major awards across the world. This included an amazing 10 BAFTA nominations and 3 BAFTA wins.
In 2018, we joined the Sumo Digital family of studios. This new home will see us bring our passion and commitment to creating exciting original games within a network of studios renowned for quality and expertise. This enables us to expand and grow in ambition and confidence, taking our reputation for storytelling into new genres. We’ve already started work on one new title and are in discussions about a significant AAA project.
We’re looking for a very special team of developers, who can combine technical expertise with flair, creativity and the hunger to make world-class games. We’re very proud of our track record in diversity and particularly welcome applications from all corners of the industry to ensure this continues into the next chapter of the studio’s story. The Chinese Room was built on passion, on finding amazing people and letting them shine. If this sounds like somewhere you’d like to make games, then we’d love to hear from you.
The Role @ The Chinese Room We’re starting pre-production on a brand-new, original IP and we’re looking for world-class designers and coders to join this exciting development. It’s going to be a first-person action adventure for multiple platforms, including next-gen consoles. If sounds like fun, then we’d love to hear from you. You’re a highly creative, organised, ambitious designer with a flair for sculpting player experience. You’re particularly interested in traversal, emergent play and how multiple system combine to create seamless, intuitive action and exploration sequences. You’re fast and efficient, not afraid to experiment and work with programmers on iterations. You’re a great communicator and love working as part of a team where you play an active role in helping shape the game and its development. You’ve got top notch C++ skills, experience at a senior level of development in Unreal Engine 4 and ideally you’ll have worked on at least one shipped title in this genre.
Within this role you will:
• Work with the rest of the team to uphold and help execute the game vision.
• Pitch your level ideas to the design team.
• Design, build, populate and take ownership of innovative game levels.
• Create quick prototype levels to test new gameplay ideas and features.
• Mentor and manage other Level Designers on the team.
• Deliver quality work within schedule and any technical limitations.
We need you to have:
• Experience using an engine such as UE4 to create 3D levels.
• Good knowledge of level design principles.
• Understanding of player guidance via form, function and visuals.
• Ability to create missions and objectives within levels which help tell the game’s story.
• Self-motivation to solve creative problems and technical challenges.
• Clear and concise communication.
It would be great if you also have:
• Specific experience using Unreal Engine 4 including Blueprints.
• Experience using in-engine modelling tools and/or 3D modelling tools such as Maya or Max.
• Interest in scene composition and aesthetic sense.
• Interest in narrative design and environmental storytelling.
• Interest in Unreal Engine technical design and tech art.
• Experience working on a first person game, and/or strong knowledge of current FPS standards.
• Shipped at least one commercial title on current gen console or PC.
• 2 Years’ experience in a senior level design role.
|Salary||Based on experience|
|Job Category||Game Design|
|More||View other Sumo Digital jobs|
|Recruiter||This job is advertised on behalf of Sumo Digital using their internal reference 3d823de5-3357-4b8a-af50-64c9fb0a7b6d.|
|Apply for this job|