A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
You are the Manager for Old School’s Art team, responsible for managing and supporting the smooth running of all the scheduling/planning and allocating art resources including outsourcing capacities where required while aligning with the Senior Artists and Producers to deliver the art assets for the product. This encompasses all aspects of the games artwork, assets, technical delivery including 3D Models, Animation, Characters, Concept, 2D, Environment Art, and UI/ UX.
Responsible for running the Art Team and ensuring their work is produced on time and to the requisite quality you will also own the scheduling and line management of the artists and be part of the wider production team.
Partnering closely with the relevant Discipline Leads, Artists, Producers, Product Managers, Studio Operations and Finance you will leverage your in-depth knowledge of the Art discipline, to ensure you have the relevant support needed to service these areas in terms of sourcing capacity, costing, planning, schedules, briefing and feedback.
It will be vitally important that the delivery of art is aligned to roadmap priorities, key objectives, and that you can manage medium level of delivery risk through thorough monitoring, tracking, and communicating progress to stakeholders. You will also help and support Production and Art to align internal art pipelines and delivery alongside external deliverables.
Someone successful in this role is player, product, and quality focused, leading by example, developing trust and respect among the team. You will support and improve planning, development, and release processes on a continuous basis to meet product vision and quality goals. Key Duties:
- Collaborate with the Lead Producer to establish a smooth production pipeline for art. Track, organize, maintain, and document status of art assets and maintain alignment with internal art pipeline requirements and deliverables as well as external ones with outsourcing.
- As a member of the Production team, Liaise with the Production and Art Leads on all art planning and milestone definition processes.
- Communicate and prioritize dependencies, clearly in all directions.
- Work with the Art Team to ensure that the work is effectively scoped, costed and scheduled
- Line Manage the artists to provide them with support and guidance.
- Set up and run sessions for the artists to ensure that there is actionable feedback to ensure that quality work is delivered.
- Conduct regular, effective retrospectives and post-mortem reviews with the development team.
- Be actively involved with recruitment of new artists
- Develop rich relationships with the Dev Team, cross-functional teams and directly with external partners.
- Define and execute creative strategies for outsourcing and co-development that improve quality, cost-effectiveness, and risk mitigation of Old School RuneScape.
- Prior experience in a similar role. Excellent organizational skills and proven experience managing multiple 2D and 3D assets in various stages of completion.
- Experience in line management
- Bring in-depth knowledge of project operations and best practices as an artist with project management responsibility in a game live operation, or similar software development projects.
- Experience in dealing with outsourcing partners to support external asset creation
- Able to show a solid understanding of production fundamentals
- Understanding of all the different art disciplines and unique challenges they provide
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.