We are looking for a DevOps engineer to join the RuneScape team, working on the operation and on-going enhancement of the RuneScape & Old School RuneScape game engine and associated systems, developing operational processes, maintaining and enhancing existing game systems and services, ensuring we continue to effectively support the live service and provide value to our players/customers. This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with ambition and initiative to join a world-renowned online games company, to work on a unique and large-scale project and face some of the most complex and interesting challenges in online gaming.Key Duties Include:
- Build, automate and support development and production environments, both on-premises and cloud
- Provide operational insights by deploying and maintaining logging, monitoring, and alerting solutions
- Collaborate with engineering teams across the organisation making recommendations and architectural decisions to ensure security, scalability, availability, and performance of the games
- Work with internal and external engineering teams to drive towards better continuous integration and delivery pipelines
- Troubleshoot and resolve production issues and work with engineering teams to detect and prevent future issues
- Exhibit a ‘T-shaped skillset’ by doing hands-on development when necessary
- Programming in Java and making use of other languages or technologies where appropriate (E.g. Python, C#, etc).
- On-Call support to troubleshoot and resolve out-of-hour production issues
- Mentor and train engineers across internal and remote engineering teams up-skilling them in DevOps principles and best practices
- Advocate DevOps culture and practices across the studio
- Self-starter, able to take high level direction and work independently with minimal instruction
- Hands-on development experience with Java. Additional experience with Python, Golang, C++ or C# would be ideal.
- Proficient in Linux system administration and server configuration (e.g., Debian/Ubuntu)
- Experience working with (and willingness to work with) large-scale legacy systems.
- Good knowledge of cloud technologies specifically AWS
- Experience with containerization and container orchestration frameworks (Docker, Kubernetes, Helm)
- Familiarity with log aggregation and monitoring tools (e.g., ELK Stack, Datadog, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of software and infrastructure security best practices
- Experience working on a variety of game systems and integrations into 3rd party technologies.
- Experience using one or more of RunDeck, git, Atlassian tools.
- Experience of working on networked and MMO games, and/or client server applications.
- Experience integrating 3rd party online services or CRM systems such as Iterable or Braze
- Relevant qualification at degree level or equivalent experience
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Monthly Energy Allowance- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.