Are you an experienced Character Artist with proven experience leading a small, but high performing team? Are you looking for a new challenge to working on a new project using the latest technologies? We are looking for a Lead Character Artist who can create, deliver, and guide others to produce the highest standard character art on a new multi-platform, open world survival game that leverage’s our legendary RuneScape IP in new and creative ways. You will join an exceptional, high performing team with expertise working with the latest technologies, including Unreal Engine 5. You provide invaluable support to the Associate Art Director and have a deep understanding of modern modelling and texturing pipelines as well as processes within your discipline. As a Lead, you will bring your expert knowledge and be a skilled contributor with the ability and desire to manage others. You will work closely with the Directors to establish the projects art vision and document any style guides or pipelines in support of that goal. You will be both hands on, delivering character artwork as needed while also managing a small team.
- Providing leadership, direction, and line management to the character team
- Delivery of highest quality in game character art
- Collaborating with Tech Art and Code teams to ensure pipelines and tools are effective, optimal and capable of delivery
- Reviewing assets to maintain consistent quality and provide feedback and critique
- Plan, schedule, and structure discipline tasks that feed into the art teams master schedule
- Documenting and communicating technical specifications and visual benchmarks to support the games artistic vision to both internal and external artists
- Producing production guides, breaking down in detail steps to reproduce assets within style
- Supporting, promoting, and building good team and studio morale in an open, creative environment
- Together with art leadership, contribute toward discipline hiring plans and recruitment process
- Manage outsource partners or freelancers as required
- Run individual, group review and critique sessions
What we're looking for:
- Expert working knowledge of Maya, Z-Brush and Substance
- Portfolio evidence of outstanding ‘hands on’ AAA Character art
- Mastery of anatomy
- An understanding of both realism and stylised styles and breakdowns
- Thorough knowledge of end-to-end in character workflow and related disciplines
- An understanding of technical art- enough to be able to communicate and resolve character related issues
- Working knowledge of Unreal engine
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Monthly Energy Allowance- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.