We have an excellent opportunity for a passionate and experienced game developer to join our Total War team as a Lead Gameplay Programmer.
Based at our well-established studio in the heart of Sussex in the UK, you will be working as a key member of the code team on our next unannounced Total War title. In this role, you will be able to make a real impact on our game. You will bring your knowledge and experience to help push the boundaries of our game by collaborating with the wider development team, striving to make our titles better than ever before.
This is a rare opportunity to lead the team responsible for campaign gameplay on the next historical total war project. You will work closely with the project directors to build high quality gameplay systems and guide the development of the campaign side of the Total War game.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Take responsibility for hiring, leading, and mentoring within your team
- Collaborate with designers and artists to create high-quality gameplay features, including contributing to the design and iteration of those features
- Work with directors in scoping and planning future work for your team, balancing technical and project requirements
- Build and maintain well-engineered C++ code with high levels of stability and performance
- Improve and develop workflows and processes to allow your team to deliver high quality game content smoothly and efficiently
- Contribute to and support the technical roadmap of our future titles
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Extensive games industry experience working in a senior capacity
- Proven leadership ability
- Strong C++ programming ability, with knowledge of the latest standards
- Ability to write clean, maintainable, and portable code
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Experience working in a large codebase
- Self-motivated with a drive to improve yourself and others
- A desire to collaborate closely with other disciplines to streamline our development processes and eliminate bottlenecks
- Passion and interest in games and game development
- Experience of a complete game development lifecycle from pre-production, through to post-release support
- Experience of leading a team towards the release of a commercial game project
- Broad gaming experience and a sense for good game design
- An avid gamer, ideally strategy games
About Creative Assembly
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio, as we push the boundaries in creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for five consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We are a company that’s secure and safe – you don’t need to worry about job security at CA.
We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support and development to achieve your potential.
Our studios are based in Horsham, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria, including several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedication motion capture facility. We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19 and are developing more flexible ways of working for the future. Right now, we are actively recruiting and onboarding staff with our expert IT and HR teams setting you up for success remotely, whether you’re relocating now or will be in the future.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- We are developing more flexible ways of working to give everyone at CA the balance and space they need. We also offer enhanced holiday allowance, maternity and paternity breaks, flexibility with our core hours, and no-notice holidays.
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen*
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy*
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases*
- Studio community activities such as life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more*
*some of the above in-studio benefits are on hold while we work remotely during COVID-19.
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.