Creative Assembly is looking for an experienced Gameplay AI Programmer to join our Total War AI team based at our headquarters in Horsham, in the heart of West Sussex.
This an excellent opportunity to work collaboratively with a diverse group of programmers, designers, and QA technicians. You will create efficient and effective AI solutions to tackle the complex strategic and tactical challenges presented by Total War’s blend of real-time and turn-based gameplay and so help us to deliver challenging, immersive, and fun experiences to our players.
Please note that while the AI Team, and CA more widely, have a keen interest in machine learning and related techniques, this position is focused on more traditional search and optimisation processes. Candidates with a strong machine learning, or similar, background will need to be comfortable using or adapting to these approaches, we would recommend the inclusion of a cover letter with your application to acknowledge this.
Flexible working at Creative Assembly includes hybrid, fully remote for eligible roles, and in-studio. We recognise that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and empower our teams to define the working patterns which work best for them, which may mean different things for different teams and roles and at different times.
This role is Hybrid and has an expectation currently of 4 days a week in our Horsham studio. This role cannot offer fully remote working. Further details can be discussed during the recruitment process.
What you'll be doing
As a Gameplay AI Programmer, you will be working with colleagues within, and beyond the AI Team to help design and develop behavioural systems for the AI of Total War.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Support existing AI systems through incremental improvement, feature updates and debugging along with creating new AI systems in response to ongoing or upcoming project requirements
- Be expected to familiarise yourself with the existing codebase as well as contributing to the planning and execution of future AI systems’ evolution
- Aid in mentoring more junior members of the team in their technical and professional development and to set a good example of these and good team working practices.
What we are looking for
- Excellent C++ programming skills and knowledge of more recent language features
- Knowledge of traditional AI approaches such as search, optimisation, pathfinding, HTNs, FSMs and utility-based techniques
- Previous game development experience that includes system design
- Interest in AI and games
- Comfortable working in a collaborative, diverse and multi-disciplinary environment
- An ability to focus on working independently when needed
- Creative problem solving.
- Experience developing AI or related systems in games, research, or other settings
- Broad gaming experience and a sense for good game design
- An appreciation of games, and Creative Assembly titles, is an advantage.
About Creative Assembly
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio as we push boundaries, creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for six consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We are a company that’s secure and safe – you don’t need to worry about job security at CA.
We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support, and development to achieve your potential.
We have studio locations across Horsham, UK in Newcastle, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria. These include several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture facility.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Flexible working: hybrid, fully remote within country of employment for eligible roles, and in-studio working
- Work from Anywhere for a temporary period each year (restrictions apply such as VISAs)
- Enhanced holiday allowance, maternity and paternity breaks, flexibility with our core hours, and no-notice holidays
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast in the studio every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases
- Studio community activities such as life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more.
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: SEGA Europe Limited and our studios do not accept unsolicited candidate introductions from unauthorised third parties. For the avoidance of doubt, SEGA Europe is not liable for any fees, compensation or any other costs associated with the introduction of a candidate or recruitment services unless and until an agreement has been duly executed. Further details can be found here.