ADSE’s goal is to develop, build and maintain a best-in-class analytical data platform. As a central data hub for the entire Studio (and third parties), ADSE provides both insights and data tools to further the understanding of our players and how they interact with the game. This ranges from APIs for data governance, integration with CRM suites, dashboards for key stakeholders, reports on game releases and advanced economic modelling. Streamlining data collection from many and varied sources, cleansing and making available to different teams in whatever format is needed. Experimenting with new and innovative technologies to make all those more efficient, scalable, and cost-effective. Dreaming up new solutions and approaches, driving team knowledge forward and continually learning. The endpoint is to be the indispensable data engine for the company.The data, dashboards, models and reports produced and curated by ADSE are critical to the product teams, enabling them to understand our players’ needs and where the enjoyment and pain points lie. This allows for the balance of greenfield development tempered against hardened production systems. The team is built around three core sections: Data Engineering, Analytics and Data Science. This role fits in the Data Engineering section, helping it grow and flourish. You will be working in an exciting and vibrant environment, with input to everything from architectural designs, cutting edge technology choices, testing and profiling, evaluating software solutions, programming paradigms and future vision.
What Does Success at Jagex Look Like?
This is an opportunity to bring your knowledge and expertise to an already mature team. A team that is more than the sum of its parts, and continually improves itself. It would be expected that you would fully deliver on key projects in the business-defined order over the coming year, as well as have input on where best to next focus attention. Delivery of solutions into production that solve real-world business problems and provide data products that ultimately increase the bottom line is paramount.
As a Senior Data Engineer, it will be your job to build the next generation of data products to support not only ADSE, but the wider business. At the same time making sure the delivery of data to rest is not only maintained, but cost-effective, timely, robust and monitored. The team maintains a large data portfolio, and you would be expected to be involved in every aspect from the ground up. This would include making suggestions for improvements, implementing them, as well as bringing new and fresh ideas to the table to driving innovation and learning.You will be working in an exciting and vibrant environment, engaged in architectural designs, cutting edge technologies, testing and profiling, mentoring/coaching, evaluating software solutions and programming.Key Duties Include:
- Design, develop, test, deploy and manage data products to support ADSE and the wider studio
- Create software and tools necessary to build automated pipelines
- Develop and maintain near real-time and batch-based data processing frameworks
- Continually improve the cost-effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems
- Take lead on projects and provide technical leadership to drive our data products to the next level
- Advocate the effective use of current and cutting-edge technologies
- Ensure all systems adhere to the highest levels of security and integrity
- Review code produced by engineers, analysts and data scientists
- Strong python
- Strong SQL across various dialects
- Significant experience in AWS (Lambda, S3, EMR, CloudFormation etc)
- Significant experience with big data ecosystems and infrastructure (Snowflake in particular)
- Experience deploying applications through container orchestration systems (docker/Kubernetes)
- Mentor and lead junior members of the team
- Set a quality bar, inspire innovation and creativity
- Deep understanding of what makes a good production system (design patterns, testing, reviews)
- Deep understanding of ETL techniques and data pipelining
- Experience with streaming and batch processing of data
- Proven experience working with Product Owners to decipher and deliver their needs
- Awareness of data governance and all surrounding legislation
- Ability to work with external development teams (2nd, 3rd or contractual) to deliver data products
- Gamer at heart – we expect our employees to be product focused at all levels
- Familiarity with data science principles and techniques
- Experience with modern marketing technology stacks
- Understanding of current/future business needs relative to the gaming and technology industry
- Experience in building strong relationships within a company and empowering your team to do the same
- Polyglot programmer
- Stay up to date with wider industry direction and evaluate the benefit of new technologies
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Monthly Energy Allowance- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.