A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
We are looking for a Senior Gameplay Engineer to join the RuneScape team, working on the operation and on-going enhancement of the RuneScape & Old School RuneScape game engine and associated systems. The successful candidate will be working with our java code libraries, scripting languages and game engine technologies. You will need to develop a deep understanding of existing technologies while continually driving to enhance and change them. You will be influential within the organisation and be directly rewarded for the successes of the products. This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with ambition and initiative to join a world-renowned online games company, to work on a unique and large-scale project and face some of the most complex and interesting challenges in online gaming.Main Duties Include:
- Programming using Java (and other languages where appropriate), defining tasks as well as working to service assigned and scheduled requests
- Working closely with the content development teams working in RuneScape’s bespoke scripting language, RuneScript; Building strong working relationships with team members both in the engine and content development groups.
- Defining and developing client-server architecture, taking ownership of significant feature areas within the game engine.
- Identifying areas where content and engine technology can be enhanced by making changes on both sides.
- Researching, innovating, and developing new gameplay features; representing the RuneScape player in technology choices
- Being constantly proactive in finding ways to make our game technology faster, leaner, and more effective
- Contributing to overall project strategy. Be willing to put forward ideas, and to positively critique those put forward by others
- Help other engineers understand the ways the game technology is being used and misused, and how to approach
- Mentoring more junior engineers within the group.
- Provable expertise in non-framework Java (2+ years professional development experience)
- At least 2yrs games industry experience [RC1]
- Server / Backend experience solving complex problems
- A passion for innovating solutions and solving problems in a unique technology stack
- Good core understanding of computer science and programming methodologies
- Relevant qualification at degree level or equivalent experience
- Experience working on an MMO or large-scale client/server application
- Experience working with a pre-existing, large-scale, codebase
- Experience working on a game heavily driven by script.
- Experience working with any of Python, Bash, RunDeck, git, Atlassian products
- Experience with build and deployment systems such as Gradle, Maven or Ansible
- Past experience working with RuneScape content RuneScript[RC1]
- A passion for gaming and RuneScape
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Monthly Energy Allowance- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.