Job Type: Permanent
Project: Console/PC Games
Our client is looking for a Principal Technical Artist to join their team on a brand-new project. The Lead Technical Artist is an expert in their field and holds a wealth of knowledge in dealing with the technical issues around content creation for video games. They have a proven track record of resolving the most complex and broad-reaching challenges in relationship to content construction, pipeline management and leading-edge visuals.
As Principal Technical Artist you will work closely with the artists and the creative director, as well as the lead programmers. Your responsibilities will include setting up and maintaining the workflow of art production and material libraries in UE4, deciding which art packages and tools the studio should use, and investigating and applying new techniques.
- Extensive experience as a technical artist in a game studio.
- Extensive knowledge of Unreal Engine 4, especially creation of materials and art blueprints.
- Expert understanding of modern game content creation processes.
- Understanding of level creation/editing packages (UE4).
- Digital Art background (modelling, shading, lighting, VFX).
- Demonstrable knowledge of modern game content creation workflows.
For UE4 specifically:
- Authoring Material Expressions and Parameters, MICs and Libraries.
- VFX assets, sequences, materials.
- Lighting: Reflection capture, Lighting Scenarios, Character.
- Implement shading and production solutions for materials, while adhering to the established artistic direction.
- Configure the various dynamic lighting solutions and available post-processing effects in order to refine a scene's overall ambience (direct lighting, fog, ambient occlusion, tone mapping, colour grading, look-up tables, vignettes, bloom, depth of field, optical flare, chromatic aberration, anamorphic flare, etc.).
- Set up lighting systems that are compatible with the memory limitations of target platforms
- Train artists in new production techniques and ensure that those methods are compatible with the constraints of the game engine.
- Identify and resolve issues related to the process of artistic creation.
- Suggest efficient production methods that are in keeping with the initial guidelines and budgets/constraints (memory/size of the game).
Interested in finding out more about the studio and project? Apply now or call us directly today on +44 (0) 1206 214412!