The role holder is accountable for working closely with game teams to assist them in designing and implementing solutions to problems. You will assist in developing the right expertise in the right places to make great games and will be a key part of the long-term strategic approach to technology at Jagex. As a strategic thinker, you will be able to define effective strategies for your area, working with your discipline leads and team to translate those strategies into achievable tactical plans to enable you to drive the technical direction of Jagex for its new game development teams and in 3rd party publishing. Experienced at leading a large team of direct and indirect reports, you will have a fluid understanding of a wide range of leadership, management, communication, productivity, and quality in your team, whilst instilling it with the culture and values of Jagex. You are experienced in being able to fully adapt your communication style to motivate and inspire all members to comply with the engineering discipline throughout Jagex. Representing and champion the quality and position of engineering throughout the company particularly gaming while balance delivery and customer satisfaction. At all times you will be responsible for ensuring clear communication upward to the Jagex Senior Leadership Team and outwards to the rest of the business.
Key Duties Include: Strategy
- Help identify and create the technical vision for technology at Jagex. Accountable executing the strategy. Oversee the present and future technology projects, tools, people pipeline and development methodologies. Contribute to the overall business strategy and associated business model.
- Challenge and raise the technical skill level of current staff in new games
- Create a technical people pipeline that is inline with the needs of the studio
- Identify and mentor top talent within the studio to wider roles and greater responsibility
- Guide the technical staffing & development of new games teams
- Help develop clear and concise job descriptions and ladders
- Continuously review and improve processes and pipelines
- Identify areas of technical improvement, establish and refine a vision, and work directly with game teams to implement
- Guide the technical staffing & development of multiple projects and pipelines
- Define technical requirements for greenlight and gateway milestone processes
- Accountable for the continued improvement of our game technology and charged with pushing the studio forward into new and cutting-edge areas.
- Stay current on cutting-edge research & technologies, recommend new tools & techniques
- Perform technical due diligence on potential acquisitions and 3rd party publishing partners
New Games / Platforms
- Work with Product Leaders (EPs/LPs/VPs) to ensure their technology groups are focusing on the right areas
- Help their teams build, lead, mentor and manage a team of talented engineers
- Collaborate with design, product, analytics, user experience, live operations, central and leadership teams to specify features and development tools
- Help new games and their technology groups to build and execute transparent roadmaps, create and deploy best-in-class processes, proactively identify and resolve issues, and innovate in software development
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Monthly Energy Allowance- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.