Similar jobs like this one
Why Goose Byte
Do you wish that you could spend your work hours actually making games? We're offering that low-overhead-indie-team-productivity along with all of the stability and I-can-sleep-at-night big studio perks.
We're cultivating an inclusive, high performance, talent dense team where collaboration is key and we won't be tolerating talented jerks. High integrity is important and we nurture an environment built around the concepts of freedom, inclusivity, respect, sustainability, and trust.
As a Technical Artist , you will be responsible for delivering a high standard in visual quality. You will use your technical skills to bring to life the Art Directors' vision. You will be in charge of creating pipelines and disseminating pertinent information to the rest of the team. You will be responsible for delivering various biomes for a procedurally generated game using Unreal Engine 5. What is key in this position is the capacity to work closely with all directors and team members. From Design, Programming, and Art, you will be responsible for seeking out and building a close working relationship. As a senior member, you will need to be proactive and independent to be successful at Goose Byte.
Our First Project
For our first project we’re making an open world survival crafting game that focuses on exploration and creativity over violence and combat, finding a unique space in a crowded genre to bring something exciting and different to players.
We’re creating our own IP, building on our love of science fiction, worldbuilding, and unconventional games, and as an indie studio we have full creative freedom and control.
Using our experience from leading AAA open world and action adventure games we’re thinking practically and pragmatically about our choices, from technology, to scope of features, and where to place our bets for quality and innovation.
There are lots of challenges ahead but we are setting our own ambitions and expectations, leveraging our scale to be decisive, move quickly, and make the game better every day.
You are definitely a match if you are excited by these opportunities…
- Focus on game dev, first and foremost. Always know the next three tasks you want to tackle.
- Assure the quality of your work is consistent week by week.
- When approaching your work, put yourself in the shoes of a designer, a programmer, and the player to better understand how your work will be used.
- As a Technical Artist you will be the in-between for Art and Programming. Ensure communication between disciplines is always fluid.
- Ensure all pertinent information gets disseminated to the rest of the Art team.
- Create and maintain technical documentation of various tools for the project.
- Stress test features or functionalities and devise a best course of action.
- Develop workflows and Art pipelines.
- Support the Art, Design and Programming teams with any technical needs.
- Assess various software for the project.
- Solve complex technical issues during development.
- Assess and investigate any performance bottlenecks.
- Be the pivotal figure for all optimization efforts.
- Enforce standards and naming conventions.
- Work together with programmers on character systems.
- Research and develop all materials needed for the project.
- Help resolve any errors found within the project.
- Manage your own time and schedule autonomously.
- Display a keen interest in all upcoming Unreal tools and any third-party tools that could speed up or improve production.
Each colleague that joins our studio is equally important to its success. As such, all of our benefits are available to everyone, effective from their first day with us. Being transparent about this equality and how we value our employees is a key part of who we are.
- Hybrid Remote work - we primarily work from home with provided high-end hardware and collaboration tools. We meet once a week in our Montreal office for collaborative work and socializing.
- Flexible schedule
- $1,000 yearly employee lifestyle fund - use this to stay healthy, social, comfortable or productive
- Equal opportunity and equal pay employer
- Team building and social events in Montreal
- Zero tolerance policy on harassment, bullying and discrimination
- No talented jerks
- Competitive base salaries for all jobs
- Low admin and manager overhead - No boring reoccurring meetings
- An uncapped profitability bonus scheme that shares studio profits with everyone
- We offer everyone dedicated high end hardware to maximize productivity
- Commitment to a Crunch-free environment
- Competitive Group Insurance Plan (Healthcare, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance)
- Retirement fund - We match 50% of all employee RRSP contributions
- Studio shuts down one week for Winter Holidays
- Unlimited paid vacation for all employees - this means 5 weeks minimum
- Unlimited sick days / Family days / Flexi days
- All benefits start day one, for all employees
Get On Our Radar
We value diverse backgrounds and fresh perspectives. We hire based on future potential, not only your past experiences.
For a Technical Artist, we expect you to be independent and able to manage your time accomplishing tasks. You are able to take direction and incorporate the direction into your work. You are proactive and communicate well with the rest of the team.
The main technologies we use at the moment are:
- Unreal Engine 5
- Google Workspace
If you already have skills here it's a great bonus!
If you made it here and this sounds like a great fit for you, then what are you waiting for!