THE JOB AND THE TEAM!
This is a fantastic opportunity for a VFX Artist to work closely with the existing art team to design and deliver dramatic and exciting 2D and 3D visual effects that fit the world style, make gameplay information clear, and bring the world, and actions in it, to life.
Working within our talented art team, you will:
· Consistently deliver VFX to the very highest standards as benchmarked against the wider industry. These are impressive, fantasy style visual effects, that are dynamic and vibrant and communicate essential gameplay information.
· Demonstrate professional knowledge of the art and animation fundamentals that form the foundations of great VFX so that VFX is delivered showing consistently excellent artistic judgement.
· Demonstrate the ability to work in different styles including skills at creating stylized, hand painted VFX and flipbook sprite animation frames.
· Collaborate with Art Director to develop and evolve the VFX style so that it fits the world and makes the game as attractive and exciting as possible.
· Document the VFX style and educate others on it to ensure the VFX style is maintained through all projects.
· Supervise the creation of high quality VFX by any junior artists in the team.
· Work closely with our Designers to ensure all gameplay features are supported and amplified by informative and exciting VFX, particularly for combat.
· Work closely with our Animators to ensure VFX syncs up with our animations and are correctly implemented in our proprietary game engine.
· Work closely with our Technical Artists, and Engine & Tools developers to evolve our VFX technology, tools, and pipeline to ensure they are as optimal as possible.
· Work closely with Environment Artists to maximize the mood, appeal and sense of life and movement in all environments in the game.
· Demonstrate strong Communication skills & keep managers and any dependent team members informed about the progress of work including any potential problems.
· Demonstrate a willingness and ability to learn, accept and act on constructive feedback.
· Develop, pitch, and communicate ideas and concepts in a visual manner.
· Have a self-organised approach (to naming, filing, backing up and archiving of all work in accordance with company and team policy)
What we're looking for on your portfolio/reel:
· Demonstrate a variety of different fantasy style VFX, preferably in a more stylised art direction. · Show knowledge and experience in the creation of particle effects in a game engine (preferably Unity).
· Demonstrate mindfulness of performance as well as aesthetics when it comes to VFX.
What we need:
· A strong portfolio demonstrating your knowledge and abilities of creating high quality realtime VFX in games.
· Experience working with commonly used game engines e.g. Unity, Unreal.
· Experience working with Zbrush, Maya and Photoshop.
· A strong sense of timing and creation and implementation of VFX that compliment the animations in game.
· A keen interest in games, and an enthusiasm for Visual Effects in general. · The ability to give and take critique, helping yourself and the team to develop.
· To take direction and work with the Art director and others in the team to maintain game style and quality personally, and across the team.
· To maintain a great level of communication with all relevant team members throughout VFX production and implementation.
We can only consider applicants who include evidence of their work, along with breakdowns in an online format such as personal website, blog, Github, or online album
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Monthly Energy Allowance- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.