||DREAMATIK ENTERTAINMENT is an LA based game startup focused on developing immersive romance games and digital content for women on both flat and mixed reality platforms. We are currently looking for a highly experienced, professional Art Director / Co-Founder to join our core team which consists of a visionary CEO/Creative Director and an experienced CTO. Since we are just starting out, the position will be remote at the beginning, and therefore requires a high degree of self-direction and discipline. As an integral part of the core team, you will be working with the Creative Director as her key partner in establishing the visual style for our games, as well as building, managing and inspiring a world class art team. The ideal candidate is an artistic visionary and an effective leader with a strong desire to join a game startup and play a pivotal role in creating a unique look and feel that will define our IPs for years to come. The position requires fluency in modern 2D and 3D art creation techniques, and an avid interest in pushing the cutting edge of game art development.
- Partner with the Creative Director to establish the vision of the game by defining our environment, character, animation, font and VFX targets
- Equip the Creative Director with solid task estimates to ensure schedules and plans meet business and project needs
- Build, manage and expand our in-house art team
- Maintain an art production pipeline, process and workflow that ensures the art direction adds considerable value to the finished product
- Supervise the efforts of the artists, define the art schedule and establish procedures and expectations
- Ensure the timely and reliable delivery of all art assets within schedule and budget considerations
- Specify and problem-solve technology issues related to art production. Communicate technical issues to the CTO. Facilitate and lead the development and maintenance of common art criteria
- Create and maintain the art design document, ensuring that there is clear documentation on art vision, process and pipeline
- Proactively develop the skills of the team’s artists, including mentoring, suggesting educational opportunities, and generally advocating professional development
- Research, speak and reference work from competitive game titles making sure we are visually competitive and leading the way
- You are an avid gamer and are excited about making mobile and mixed reality romance titles for the female audience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fine arts or equivalent
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience crafting video game art or equivalent
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience as a lead artist/art director/manager or equivalent.
- Have shipped AAA Console, PC or Online, Mobile or Tablet projects as an Art Lead or Art Director
- Experience directing and motivating a team of artists, evaluating and revising art schedules, defining deadlines and task estimates, working under pressure and multitasking effectively
- Excellent leadership, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Able to explore a wide variety of ideas/styles quickly to help establish the visual look of a title within the limitations of the chosen hardware
- Broad experience across art disciplines including modeling, lighting and shading, and a sound understanding of design elements, color theory, anatomy, drawing and painting
- Well versed in a variety of technologies and production techniques, and should be current in the latest trends in computer graphics, production methodologies and resource management
- Demonstrated proficiency with popular 2D and 3D applications, such as Maya, Zbrush, 3DS Max, Adobe Photoshop, Painter and the Unity game engine.
- Self-motivated, with a strong work ethic
- Genuinely enjoys working with others and thrives in a collaborative environment.
- Can improvise, adapt and overcome challenges with a positive attitude
- Can withstand the often stressful but highly rewarding game startup life
- Wants to see the best ideas implemented in the game, even if they’re not their own
- You are familiar with the romance game genre
- You have experience in creating a stylized visual art style
- Equity stake in an early-stage game startup
- Flexible hours and remote work possibility
US based candidates preferred, but negotiable based on skill and experience. Relocation to LA will eventually be required.
Apply by sending your resume and digital portfolio with the title ‘Art Director’ to zsuzsa.jakab[at]dreamatik.com.