Gameplay Software Engineer (Console) Position Overview:
The studio is looking for a talented Gameplay Software Engineer to join the newly formed Console team and take the existing Football Manager Touch product to new and exciting heights.
Your role will include integrating new gameplay features and quality of life changes from Football Manager, as well as creating and reviewing technical designs for mainly console specific features.
All Software Engineer’s are required to adhere to the coding standards set by the studio.
We are looking for self-motivated people with good communication skills who can complete work independently as well as part of a team.
- Integrate new and existing Football Manager features and quality-of-life changes into the Football Manager Touch code base and ensure build stability.
- Work closely with the UX/UI Designers and Game Designers to create, scope and develop new gameplay features for Football Manager Touch on console.
- Work across multiple platforms and projects to ensure we deliver the best performance and experience to our customer base.
- Collaborate with other disciplines, including QA, Producers, and other engineering teams, on both development and future planning.
- Contribute to research and support the console team in line with studio and department objectives.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Good knowledge of modern C++ and C# languages.
- Good knowledge of design patterns and software engineering best practices.
- Passion for development of gameplay systems, with an emphasis on problem solving.
- Minimum of two years of professional experience using C++ as the main language and C# as a secondary language.
- Experience designing and developing systems for multiple platforms.
- Strong academic background with a 2:1 degree (or equivalent) or higher in a relevant technical field such as computer science, software engineering, mathematics, or physics.
- Strong analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Good communication skills for effective collaboration with software engineers, artists, animators, QA, and production staff.
- Self-motivated with a drive to improve yourself and others continuously.
- A good understanding of performance and optimisation.
- Experience with Unity preferable.
- Interest in Football beneficial
Sports Interactive (SI) is an ambitious development studio creating immersive sports management simulations. Since 1994, we’ve captivated a global pool of players with our iconic, BAFTA award-winning game, Football Manager. We’re a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA having caught their attention in 2006 with our continuous critical and commercial success.
We’re a tenacious community, coming together at the Here East technology hub in Stratford, East London. Always expanding, the SI team takes on the gaming genre through a diverse array of disciplines. But no matter how big we dream, we keep our approach (and your schedule) flexible, creating a relaxed atmosphere where collaboration can thrive.
We approach everything with passion, whether that’s making our mark on the gaming and football industries or doing our bit for the world around us. We want to share that outlook with everyone who shows up to work here each day.
We like our talent tenacious, so you can expect to surround yourself with other ambitious individuals bringing their A-game to many different disciplines. We know collaboration is the key to constantly topping our best, and encourage our people to fiercely realise their own personal potential.
We believe everyone matters, no matter which part of the business you’re in. Above all else, we’re a team. A team with a down-to-earth dynamic, that works and plays together. We have fun doing what we do; one of the many reasons we’re one of the best places to work in the UK games business (Gameindustry.biz 2021 Large studio category).
And if you want a work/life balance, we’re behind you. Because while we live to create extraordinary games, we know that’s not all you’ve got going on. You can trust that we always keep things in perspective, fostering an environment where work can be more than just a job.
Our flexible working culture gives team members the responsibility to optimise their workloads, with in-office, hybrid and remote working options. Even in countries where we don’t directly employ*, we’ll even explore what’s possible via third parties and do our best to accommodate location preferences.
And when you’re not here making the world’s best management games, there’s a top-class benefits package for permanent team members based in the UK, including gym membership, private health, and dental care, plus many more perks. For those permanent team members outside of the UK, we strive to offer equivalent and localised benefits. We’re also a London Living Wage employer and proudly boast one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
*We’re able to directly employ in the UK, Ireland, France, Sweden and Finland.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from any relevant candidate irrespective of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion, or belief. Our studio has disabled access and facilities.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.