Job Title: VFX Artist (Unity) – Freelance/FTC
Location: SI HQ, Here East, London
Reporting to: Producer
We are seeking a talented and experienced Unity VFX Artist to play a pivotal role in shaping an exciting mobile project.
This role will be integral to bringing the game to life via creation of assets needed to support timeline sequences in Unity; notably particle systems, animations, and shader work (both 2D and 3D).
The successful candidate should be organised, self-motivated, and thrive on close collaboration, primarily with our technical artist and creative lead, as well as the wider development team.
Please note: Due to the high volume of applications we receive, any applications without a portfolio link showcasing your best work will be discounted.
- Collaborate with technical artist and design team to produce high quality, mobile-friendly VFX assets.
- Deliver assets within the confines of real-time engine constraints and programming/gameplay requirements.
- Visual effects inside Unity (using particle systems and shader effects) as well as hand-drawn and frame-by-frame animated effects.
- Working to briefs.
- Working with developers to hash out best practices and approaches.
- Providing developers with required shaders, scripts and systems to enhance visual effects within the Unity-based project.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Comfortable driving the design and style of a game’s motion graphics.
- Good understanding of aesthetic fundamentals, including timing, easing, motion, anticipation, palette creation, values, contrast.
- Experience working in combination spaces (3D and 2D) .
- Experience using techniques unique to Unity’s bespoke toolkit (Particle system, Timeline, Cinemachine, Unity UI System) as well as more generalised realtime techniques (spritesheets, shaders).
- Understanding of the performance constraints inherent to mobile games and the ability to adapt your workflow to account for this.
- Experience designing motion graphics for commercial purposes.
- Familiarity with audio integration in Unity for creating compelling motion graphics.
- Experience working autonomously in a source-controlled environment.
Sports Interactive (SI) is an ambitious development studio creating immersive sports management simulations. Since 1994, we’ve captivated a global pool of players with our iconic, BAFTA award-winning game, Football Manager. We’re a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA having caught their attention in 2006 with our continuous critical and commercial success.
We’re a tenacious community, coming together at the Here East technology hub in Stratford, East London. Always expanding, the SI team takes on the gaming genre through a diverse array of disciplines. But no matter how big we dream, we keep our approach (and your schedule) flexible, creating a relaxed atmosphere where collaboration can thrive.
We approach everything with passion, whether that’s making our mark on the gaming and football industries or doing our bit for the world around us. We want to share that outlook with everyone who shows up to work here each day.
We like our talent tenacious, so you can expect to surround yourself with other ambitious individuals bringing their A-game to many different disciplines. We know collaboration is the key to constantly topping our best, and encourage our people to fiercely realise their own personal potential.
We believe everyone matters, no matter which part of the business you’re in. Above all else, we’re a team. A team with a down-to-earth dynamic, that works and plays together. We have fun doing what we do; one of the many reasons we’re one of the best places to work in the UK games business (Gameindustry.biz 2021 Large studio category).
And if you want a work/life balance, we’re behind you. Because while we live to create extraordinary games, we know that’s not all you’ve got going on. You can trust that we always keep things in perspective, fostering an environment where work can be more than just a job.
Our flexible working culture gives team members the responsibility to optimise their workloads, with in-office, hybrid and remote working options dependent on role. Even in countries where we don’t directly employ*, we’ll even explore what’s possible via third parties and do our best to accommodate location preferences. We’re also a London Living Wage employer and proudly boast one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
*We’re able to directly employ in the UK, Ireland, France, Sweden and Finland.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from any relevant candidate irrespective of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion, or belief. Our studio has disabled access and facilities.
SI is proudly a Disability Confident Committed employer, and we are dedicated to ensuring our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible. Our studio has disabled access and facilities but please ensure you advise us if you require any other reasonable adjustments to be made to support you during the recruitment process.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.