SENIOR LEVEL DESIGNER
Studio: SEARCHLIGHT – Third Party Studio
Country: Canada, Montreal
We’re pleased to be promoting an exciting opportunity for a Senior Level Designer to join an award winning independent third-party studio based in Montreal (Quebec), Canada. The successful applicant will be joining a dynamic passionate and diverse team working on an exciting and innovative new project.
The studio specialize in building their own IPs, targeted at consoles and PCs. Driven by a passion for our craft and a strong foundation of design methodology, they focus on fostering innovation and delivering awesome experiences to their players.
The studio position themselves as a meaningful and positive influence on the field they love, through the games made, but also through the way they make these games. Developing a video game can be an amazing experience, and as such, they strive to foster a positive and stimulating environment where everyone has an opportunity to grow in their craft. The studio value autonomy, initiative and ownership; believe in collaboration and think everyone in the team should have a voice in shaping the games they deliver.
The studio offers competitive salary, as well as great conditions: insurance, attention to work-life balance, very generous vacations package, and much more.
- Create layouts in the form of dungeons and towns, from gray block geometry to polished form.
- Use Unreal Engine 4’s Blueprint and internal tools for scripting, combat, stealth gameplay, objectives and narrative events.
- Document level design layout and intentions in order to serve as a resource for the rest of the team.
- Work closely with other designers, writers, artists and programmers to design, implement and maintain levels and gameplay content.
- Implement bug fixes and iterations based on need. Work with testers to ensure the game plays and performs as intended.
- Actively participate in design discussions and design reviews.
- Assist in scoping work for on time milestone deliveries.
- Collaborate with the engineering team to develop and enhance the development of tools and processes used in laying out environments and implementing gameplay in levels.
- Share knowledge and mentor junior designers.
- Motivate and inspire others to generate new ideas.
- Perform any other ad-hoc duties, if necessary.
Essential Skills & Experience
- At least 6 years of experience as a Level Designer
- At least 2 games shipped on Unreal Engine 4
- Strong sense of level design, scale, pacing, and gameplay flow
- Strong environment/layout creation and iteration skills
- Strong scripting ability
- Experience working on Roleplaying Games
- Ability to own and iterate content to the highest quality with minimum supervision
- Ability to manage his/her own time and work within tight deadlines
- Ability and desire to work in creative and collaborative teams
- Ability to write clear, concise documentation in English and maintain it
- Good communication skills
- Experience in UE4, including Blueprint Scripting
- Strong interest and experience in storytelling
- Experience in Open-World or Sandbox games
- Experience with tabletop RPGs
- A link to your portfolio so that we can see examples of your work
Please note that candidates are required to complete a design test prior to the interview.