Games Jobs - Business / Analysis / Metrics - Cambridge
|Job Title||Legal Counsel|
|Job Description||Important note: To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview. Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect. So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
We are looking for a self-motivated and enthusiastic lawyer to join our growing Legal team at Jagex as Legal Counsel, at this exciting time for the business. Reporting to the Head of Legal but business partnering throughout Jagex, you will be working across all areas of the diverse and demanding legal games world – key commercial and technology projects both in the UK and globally including intellectual property, licensing, commercial relationships and contracts, litigation, data protection and marketing. This is an exciting opportunity for a commercial and creative lawyer who wants to immerse themselves in a dynamic and varied legal role within the games industry at the home of living games
• Review and draft game specific and other commercial contracts and support the business in negotiating these contracts to a conclusion.
• Provide strategic and practical advice to the business on commercial / IP, corporate, data protection and regulatory matters.
• Assist on corporate transactions including liaising with external solicitors on M&A transactions and corporate compliance, advising the Head of Legal on all relevant matters.
• Liaise with external bodies and internal stakeholders on new developments in Gaming and Gambling which will impact the business, providing tools and advice to navigate the exciting and constantly evolving games landscape
• Prepare standard and ad-hoc information and data reports to regulators and other stakeholders as required.
• Prepare and manage on a regular basis appropriate timely management information on Legal risk and regulatory issues to the Head of Legal including suggested mitigating actions.
• Assist with preparing advice/ad-hoc reports and presentations for the board and/or senior management on topical subjects
• Support the Head of Legal in the development and maintenance of effective and efficient interaction with external regulators e.g Gaming Commission, ensuring that Jagex’s views are appropriately represented and facilitating the supervisory activity of regulators.
• Assist with the negotiation and implementation of the Jagex annual insurance policy renewal
• Excellent academic record and honours degree (or equivalent) and qualification in law / current practising certificate.
• Qualified and practising solicitor from either a leading private practice law firm or in-house (or both).
• Ideally, you will have 3-5 years PQE related experience (though other levels of qualification will be considered), with a commercial focus on intellectual property and contract law, preferably with some in-house experience (any games industry experience an added bonus but is not required for this role).
• You will be accustomed to working on a broad mixture of commercial contracts in the games/software or other creative/entertainment sectors with excellent drafting, interpersonal and communication skills.
• You will be a team player able to work collaboratively both within the Legal team and as a wider business partner but will be equally comfortable working on projects independently.
|Salary||Based on experience|
|Job Category||Business / Analysis / Metrics|
|More||View other Jagex Games Studio jobs|
|Recruiter||This job is advertised on behalf of Jagex Games Studio using their internal reference 38ac018b-58c3-4cd3-939e-76fd5880ac60.|
|Apply for this job|