Senior Java Game Developer
Games Jobs - Programming - Cambridge
|Job Title||Senior Java Game Developer|
|Job Description||Company Overview:
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 360 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
The successful candidate will be working with our java code libraries, scripting languages and game engine technologies. You will have key responsibilities for the server and client technologies powering RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, taking ownership of significant portions of the platform and defining their future development. You will need to foster a deep understanding of existing technologies while continually driving to enhance and change them. You will be influential within the organisation and be directly rewarded for the successes of the products. Candidates must have a deep and comprehensive understanding of all aspects of programming, particularly with Java and C++ (including C++ 11/14). The candidate must have past experience working on bespoke client/server game engines and proven experience working at a senior level within the games industry. With both games proving great successes on mobile, familiarity with cross-platform development is essential. This is an opportunity for a candidate with ambition and initiative to join a well-established online games company, at a studio of over 300 people, and face some exciting challenges that you just won't find anywhere else.
• Programming using Java and C++, defining those programming tasks, as well as working to service assigned and scheduled requests
• Defining and developing client server architecture, taking ownership of significant areas of the client and server technology powering RuneScape and Oldschool Runescape
• Researching, innovating and developing new game engine technology
• Being constantly proactive in finding ways to make our game technology faster, leaner and more effective
• Mentoring other team members, settings high standards and acting as an exemplary developer.
• Assisting in the recruitment of other team members.
• Leading technical discussions with team members to ensure that the correct solutions are chosen to problems
• Contributing to overall project strategy. Be willing to put forward ideas, and to positively critique those put forward by others
• Build strong working relationships with team members and with other teams within the organisation
• Extremely proficient with Java and C++
• Experience working in games at a senior level
• Server / Backend experience and solving complex problems
• Experience working in a high-load environment
• A passion for innovating solutions and solving problems in a unique technology stack
• Knowledge and appreciation of modern development practices
• Relevant qualification at degree level or equivalent experience
• Knowledge of other platforms including, but not limited to, Mac OS, Linux, iOS and Android
• Experience with scripting languages such as Python, Bash, Perl or similar
• Experience with build and deployment systems such as Maven and Ansible
• Familiarity with web frameworks such as Spring
• An understanding and appreciation of test-driven development
• A passion for gaming and Runescape
|Salary||Based on experience|
|More||View other Jagex Games Studio jobs|
|Recruiter||This job is advertised on behalf of Jagex Games Studio using their internal reference 917667b8-f7c3-450e-90b9-aed18f5cb087.|
|Apply for this job|