Senior Technical Animator
Games Jobs - Art / Animation - Cambridge
|Job Title||Senior Technical Animator|
|Job Category||Technical Animator|
|Job Description||Company Overview:
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 360 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a Senior Technical Animator looking for a varied and challenging role that encourages creative input and technical direction. The successful applicant will join an experienced team of technical artists working on our flagship title, RuneScape.
RuneScape is an evolving product on PC and new Mobile platforms with players that have an insatiable thirst for content, meaning there’s always a need to evolve and modernise our pipeline and tools to keep up with their demand. Your role would involve collaborating with our artists & animators to develop, maintain and improve those tools.
• Design and implement complex skeletons, control rigs, secondary animation (fat, jiggle, smears), and skin deformations, including facial rigging solutions for creatures and humans
• Implement techniques and process to solve character and animation and deformation challenges
• Recognise inefficiencies and problems in existing pipelines and identify solutions
• Design, develop, deploy, and maintain animation tools, workflows and pipelines to improve animation quality and production efficiency
• Work with engine and tools teams to contribute to development of new game technology
• Document tools and processes required to educate artists on new tools or workflows
• Help mentor and develop more junior members of the team across the studio
• Excellent communication skills with an innate ability to liaise across art and tech disciplines
• Good eye for animation is a must, with a thorough understanding of animation principles, weighting, and skinning
• Good knowledge of anatomy and a thorough understanding of biomechanics, kinesiology for humanoid and animals and figure and facial anatomy
• Strong background in rigging and skinning complex characters/objects in a realistic or exaggerated manner
• Expert working knowledge of Motion Builder/Motive or equivalent software
• In-depth knowledge of Maya, and experience with Python, Qt Frameworks (PySide, PyQt), and familiarity with the Maya API (MotionBuilder API experience a plus)
• Working evidence of previous AAA development cycles, their pipelines and workflows, completed whilst in a technical animation role
• A strong demo reel that adequately reflects this experience
• In-depth knowledge of a broad range of game technologies such as rendering, game systems and data management
• Experience with cloth, muscles and dynamics
• Experience solving, cleaning and implementing motion capture data within a game engine
• Degree in visual effects or technical subject area is highly preferred
• Traditional 2D art skills
|Salary||Based on experience|
|Job Category||Art / Animation|
|More||View other Jagex Games Studio jobs|
|Recruiter||This job is advertised on behalf of Jagex Games Studio using their internal reference 7f870ce5-01f0-4ad5-81b0-ff602d3f8e98.|
|Apply for this job|