Senior Technical Designer
Games Jobs - Game Design - Cambridge
|Job Title||Senior Technical Designer|
|Job Category||Game Design|
|Job Description||Important note: To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview. Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect. So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Job Purpose: Breaks down design briefs to understand and articulate their technical requirements. Builds effective prototypes to help designers quickly iterate on their designs. Assists in the implementation of complex gameplay features. Helps designers and programmers debug complex features. As Senior Technical Designer, you will be the bridge between Design and Programming, embodying the values of being Player Obsessed and Scientifically Creative, as well as being a proactive communicator.You will work with design, art and programming to gather the requirements to deliver robust implementations, as well as support the project with workflow improvements such as scripts and pipelines. You see potential issues and proactively drives areas of R&D to surpass limitations of platform, engine, hardware, or software. You are able to deliver advanced technical tasks to support design with tools, scripts, pipelines, and processes on an assigned product. You will use your knowledge and experience of Unreal to assist designers rapidly prototype their concepts, as well as aiding them to iterate and debug their gameplay features. You will ensure the design team has usable tools which answer the needs of the project, allowing designers to focus on creativity by reducing the friction of technical tasks. As senior, you demonstrate an all-round ability to solve problems reliably and autonomously with great organizational, scheduling and mentorship skills.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
• Acts as a point of contact between programming and design, working on projects that require significant interaction between the two
• Writes scripts and enhances tools that enable designers to automate repeatable mechanics
• Ensures that gameplay features are not compromised by the limitations of technical processes
• Assists designers in realizing their vision for gameplay features within the constraints of tech
• Enhances functionality of gameplay features to create fun and engaging experiences
• Acts as the design team’s go-to for technical expertise
• Continually looks for opportunities to improve the workflow of designers
• Creates tools, scripts and pipelines that enable designers to implement their designs and document the workflows
• Ensures content implementations meet technical requirements and follow best practices
• Actively mentors, guides, and levels up more junior technical designers
• Assists Lead in work reviews and validating games features
• Runs critiques and provides technical feedback for designers
• Shares knowledge and motivates design team
• Owns and delivers complex technical tasks
• Accurately predicts workloads
• Shipped numerous titles as a Technical Designer on current gen console or high-end PC
• Possesses an in-depth knowledge of Unreal and working knowledge of C++
• Understanding of design principles and fluent in various design systems and mechanics
• Ability to analyze and deconstruct others work for critique and feedback
• Excellent time management and task evaluation
• High degree of self-motivation and drive
• Design background to support design-led decision making
• Proven collaborator and proactive communicator
• Understanding of coding principles and best practices
• Passion for problem solving
• BONUS Knowledge of new UE4 systems (Niagara, Sequencer, Chaos Destruction, Gameplay Ability System, etc)
• BONUS Knowledge of popular DCCs (Maya, 3ds Max, Blender, etc)
• BONUS Python experience
|Salary||Based on experience|
|Job Category||Game Design|
|More||View other Jagex Games Studio jobs|
|Recruiter||This job is advertised on behalf of Jagex Games Studio using their internal reference a7bd40b2-c2f6-4c7d-89a5-d4b2acbadd9d.|
|Apply for this job|